Inspired by a blueberry-frangipane tart we had earlier this year in France, this is a sweet, almondy cake with a lovely, fresh bite of blueberry. Lemon zest would be a nice addition, if you have a lemon lying around!
Note: Set out the eggs, butter and buttermilk ahead of time so that they can reach room temperature.
Recipe is for one 22 cm/9" cake.
- sugar 375 g 13 oz
- butter 225 g 8 oz
- eggs 3
- vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
- almond extract 1/4 teaspoon
- buttermilk 180 g 6.5 oz
- whole wheat flour 200 g 7.25 oz
- almond meal 150 g 5.25 oz
- salt 1/4 teaspoon
- baking soda 1/2 teaspoon
- corn starch 1 1/2 teaspoon
- blueberries 250 g 9 oz convert to imperial convert to metric
- Click an ingredient to tick it off the list.
- This recipe is available in metric and imperial.
Grease and flour a 22 cm 9" springform cake tin. Preheat oven to 165 degrees Celsius 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down after each addition. Add vanilla and almond extracts.
Gradually add buttermilk to creamed mixture.
Sift together dry ingredients and fold into creamed mixture.
Toss blueberries in a bit of flour and fold into batter.
Pour batter into springform pan and bake for 80-90 minutes.