whole wheat carrot bread
Carrot bread is a classic and a great recipe for whole wheat-ifying. Adding some cream cheese filling really finishes it off well!
This recipe makes one loaf of carrot bread.
- eggs 3
- brown sugar 150 g 5.25 ounces
- vegetable oil 185 g 6.5 ounces
- vanilla 1 teaspoon
- carrots, shredded 200 g 7 ounces
- whole wheat flour 225 g 8 ounces
- baking soda 1/2 teaspoon
- pinch salt
- cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom 1/4 teaspoon each
- batch of cream cheese filling, optional (see link below) convert to imperial convert to metric
- Click an ingredient to tick it off the list.
- This recipe is available in metric and imperial.
Set out ingredients for carrot bread batter. Allow eggs to reach room temperature, as they whip better at this point.
Set out ingredients for (optional) cream cheese filling. It is best if the cream cheese and egg are allowed to reach room temperature before beginning. Prepare filling as directed and pour into piping bag.
Shred carrots and set aside.
Whip eggs and sugar to a thick ribbon stage. As you can see in the picture, ribbon stage is when the mixture forms a "ribbon" that rests briefly atop the batter as it falls back into it. The longer you whip it, the thicker it will be, though it is not meant to be able to keep its shape for long. It takes about ten minutes to reach this stage in a tabletop mixer.
Once the batter has reached a thick ribbon stage, turn the mixer to high and add the vegetable oil in a slow stream.
Add shredded carrot and mix briefly.
Add dry ingredients and mix until well-combined.
Pour batter into parchment-lined bread pan. Pipe (or spoon) cream cheese filling into the batter.
Bake at 165° 325° for 55-60 minutes.